The Vineland Station Historic Train Station is Whiteville, N.C.’s civic
center. Built originally in 1903, it is one of North Carolina’s original
brick depots. It got its name Vineland from the expansive grape
vineyards that once covered the area. Vast quantities of these grapes
were shipped from the station.
It sat in disrepair for a number of years until a joint effort by
Columbus County, the City of Whiteville, the N.C. Department of
Transportation, Carolina Southern Railroad and a non-profit committee
came together to extensively renovate the building to its original
The main room, or warehouse, has the original exposed brick walls,
slate roof and restored heart pine flooring and ceiling timbers. The
offices and history gallery have much of the original bead board wall
and features of the original train station.
Vineland Station hosts a number of public events such as art shows,
music performances and fund-raisers, as well private events such as
weddings, receptions and seminars.